Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Why Bother?

Welcome to Adventures in Risk Management!

The reason for doing this blog is simple. I simply enjoy risk management. Now, I'm not talking about risk management in banking and investing (necessarily). I'm talking about risk management when it comes to projects and programs in the workplace. The endless combinations of events, the interwoven details, the unique combinations of events - these are generally the hard problems of projects and for me represent the most fun you can have.

Well, maybe not "fun." Certainly risk management is painful at times...but at least it is typically entertaining! That is, "entertaining" if you are sick and twisted like me!

I've had the privilege to conduct a variety of training for organizations over the past couple of years in, among other topics, project risk management. In one recent session, as a follow-up, I sent a short message to the participants outlining several books worth looking at, some popular press articles, etc. This really meant a lot to the class! They enjoyed the material and it really spurred some additional discussion.

I toyed with the idea for this blog for quite a while; however, the pull to continue the discussion with former students was too great - so here it is! Adventures in Risk Management!

My purpose here is to simply provide an on-going commentary on risk-related topics to the mutual benefit of friends, co-workers, former / current students, and enemies alike. I won't pretend to put out necessarily definitive work here; rather, to provide a home for a continuation of the dialog. Through this blog, I hope to provide former students with a continuous resource filled with thoughts, additional examples, and a forum for ideas from peers as well to continue encouraging and reinforcing the concepts we've learned along the way.

I hope that you find it thought-provoking - or at least moderately interesting - or at a minimum vaguely entertaining. Remember, we all need to keep our expectations low in general; that way our expectations are always exceeded and we can stay happy!

0 Comments: